Some historical evidence confirms that the Holy Family passed by the area where Haret Zuwaila is now.
From a historical point of view, several historical books that spoke of the Church of the Virgin Mary in Haret Zuwaila and its being within the path of the Holy Family, including: the book “The History of the Patriarchs” in the part written by Mawhib bin Al-Manshor (1088 AD), and the book “Churches and Monasteries” by Abu Al-Makarim (1209 AD) and Al-Maqrizi (14th century). Also in the Coptic Encyclopedia – Part IV (1991 AD), Autominardos (1962 AD) and Butler (1882 AD), and also many scholars, including Dr. Murad Kamel, Dr. Gawdat Gabra and His Eminence Bishop Demetrius-Bishop of Mallawi, and Mark Samika Pasha, founder of the Coptic Museum.
Geographically, the area of Fatimid Cairo before the Fatimid era was an intermediate area that people passed through on their way from Matareya and Ain Shams to the area of Babylon and ancient Egypt, and it was in the path of the Holy Family.
Archaeologically, the church dates back to the fourth century, and there are antiquities in the Zuwaila area, such as the cave, the cistern, and many places, caves and wells that are associated with the Holy Family’s journey.