Many travelers and foreign visitors in the Middle Ages recorded their visit to the Tree of Mary. Visitors to Jerusalem from Europe would come to it on their journey to Sinai and their rituals of their visit would not be complete without the blessing of the tree of Mary.
Historians say that the French soldiers led by Kleber, who ruled Egypt after Napoleon, and after they defeated the Turkish armies in the battle of Ain Shams, limped on their way to the tree of Mary and wrote their names on its branches using their spears and swords, and some of them received healing for their eyes and various diseases, after they had washed themselves from the water of the well and recorded their thanks to God for the good they had received through the blessing of the tree of Mary and the water of the holy well.
During the celebrations of the opening of the Suez Canal in 1869 AD, the Empress of France, Empress Eugenie, visited the Mary tree in Matareya, back then she stood in the middle of a field of balsam plants, and that was recorded on October 18, 1869 AD.
In the year 1967 AD, the Postal Authority issued a commemorative postage stamp on the Mary Tree in Matareya.
Since 1988, a project has started to develop the tree surroundings and His Holiness Pope Shenouda III, along with senior statesmen, inaugurated these renovations on May 21, 1992